Malicious Damage is every landlord’s nightmare. Costs can be high – with repairs and replacements hitting hard! So far this year we’ve dealt with over 600 of these claims and we’re prepared to tackle this head on with you – supporting your customers in preventing malicious damage claims.
Here are a few tips from us on how to help your customers to avoid malicious damage:
- For residential lettings it’s recommended the landlord and the managing agent request references and check them out thoroughly
- Inspect let properties on a regular basis – 6 monthly intervals
- Ensure properties are secured when unoccupied for example overnight or weekends
- Take a deposit to cover damage which is not due to an insured peril
- Take action if a tenant stops paying their rent. This could be an early indication that the tenant has left the property unoccupied, which could make it a target for theft and vandalism.
Watch our video below on the prevention of malicious damage including a real-life scenario.
Categories: Commercial Lines